Influencer marketing is a growing trend and a tactic that you should consider adding to your marketing mix. Given that influencer marketing is now the hottest new trend in the marketing space currently, all top brands are using this method to reach their potential audience.
Marketing via ‘influencers’ used to mean professional sports persons pitching expensive shoes or actors selling cosmetics. Today, thanks to social media to a very large extent, some of the most successful influencers are practically businesses themselves, with large followings and engaged users.
Keeping this in mind, we have put together a list of frequently asked questions about influencer marketing-
1. What is Influencer Marketing- How does it work?
It is a strong word of mouth marketing strategy. For a brand, a digital influencer is someone who could help increase the business of the brand and spread an organic word of mouth in the influencers circle in exchange for monetary benefits or free products/services.
A brand collaborates with an influencer on social media or via their blog to promote a product or service on a specific online channel.
The strategy involves content creation & amplification across various social media channels including-
2. Why Should I Use Influencer Marketing?
Influencer marketing works for three reasons:
- Relies on trust: It takes advantage (in a good way) of the trust influencers have earned from their constituency.
- Penetrates a niche: Influencer marketing relies not on breadth but depth regarding numbers — a heuristic that says it’s better to penetrate deeply into a niche market rather than shallowly across a broad market.
- It’s Targetable and Trackable: Decisions without data are shots in the dark at best. For decades, the advertising industry was limited to shooting in the dark, having only access to traditional strategies that yielded murky information about audience reach, sales funnel influence, and branding impact.
It can be cost effective too without requiring a huge investment of resources.
3. In what scenario’s can I use influencer marketing?
Influencer marketing can be used by varied brands in multiple ways. For example, a startup or a new product/service launch can be enabled via influencer marketing – e.g. Le Eco phone launch. An existing brand can leverage it to promote a new product line or category – e.g. Honda launched its new car through influencers. Influencers are a great way to amplify an existing social media or integrated campaign – e.g. we are currently running a campaign for Shoppers Stop to amplify their shopping sale.
Here is a list of top influencer campaigns that blogmint recently executed:
There used to be a time when brands turned to big celebrities for product endorsements. Influencer marketing is the digital version of that, except celebrities in this case are social media peers or bloggers with significant following and reach.
Many a times before purchasing a particular product, a consumer turns to his/her peer for an opinion on the product. The brand collaborates with Influencers because the influencers have the power to influence the decision-making of their following.
You can have a look at our Digital Marketing Industry Report which showcases that 87% of marketing and communications professionals will use Influencer Engagement in 2016.
5. How do I identify the right influencer for my brand?
Influencers are broadly divided into 4 categories –
- Key/Celebrity Influencers: Include celebrities, industry thought leaders and leading bloggers
- Social Influencers: Individuals with significant online influence like social media celebrities
- Peer Influencers: Individuals closest to the consumer circle like – family, friends, colleagues
Influencers typically focus on a particular area like food, parenting, fitness, fashion, e-commerce or technology. Influencer marketing platforms like Blogmint have huge database of influencers across all genre. Relevant influencers are usually shortlisted based on the brand, its business, target audience, geography and the marketing objective.
e.g. - A new restaurant looking for launch would engage food bloggers who can help cover their brand on blogs and social media channels.
6. How are Influencers shortlisted?
Our platform shortlists based on the following metrics:
- MOZ Domain Authority- It reflects the popularity of the blog. It represents the importance of the web page on the internet. A good MoZ rank is between 25-39.
- Quality of content – The quality of the content is very crucial. The right quality of content can inspire the audience to take the right action.
- Unique visitors to the Blog – In addition to the page views and traffic that a bloggers draws to his website, Unique visitors help spread the brands story to the target audience. Size and quality of followers is an important metric to consider while shortlisting.
- Relevance to the brand – It is very important to pick relevant blogger for the relevant campaign. The relevant blogger helps pushing the brand message to his target audience.
- Previous work – This gives you a sense of the blogger's work. Previous performance data like – social media engagement, likes on their blogs, shares help you narrow your choice.
7. What is the ROI I can expect through influencer marketing?
This is the most often asked question by brands. Influencer marketing helps in brand building, loyalty, social media engagement and in the mid to long term even helps in growing sales and revenue.
In the short term, brands should not expect a large spike in the transactions due to Influencer marketing but can expect authentic word of mouth with their target audience. Apart from creating amazing content, influencer marketing helps in driving traffic to the website/app, social media engagement- shares, likes, links to the article, total impressions, higher ranking through quality backlinks (SEO), growth in organic traffic and eventually sales/leads
8. Are the Influencers Paid ?
Nothing is free in this world. Influencers are compensated for the campaigns in either monetary terms or free samples/service/products depending on the business and campaign.
We hope we have motivated you to launch your campaign and get influencers to cover your brand!